Friday 5 September 2014

Body Image


This photo was taken by: Meg Gaiger

I want everyone to take a moment and look at this picture. What do you see and how does this picture effect you?
This photo has been recently started to go viral and I think that is for a very good reason.
This picture has a very powerful message to me. This is an issue that we as girls and women face in our day to day lives. It hits you pretty hard when you take into account the countless pictures we see on a daily basis of airbrushed women. One of the saddest parts about this image is that the little girl we see in this photo wants to be like all the girls she sees in the magazines and thinks that because she does not look like this her body is not good enough. The thing about this photo is that the woman in the photo she is looking at probably doesn't even look like that, there is a large chance that she is airbrushed. 

This is an issue that many girls struggle with and it hurts my heart to see someone at such a young age feel like their body is not good enough. Don't get me wrong I know that this is a photo but it is constantly happening in our society now a days, from a younger age girls see their body as not good enough because of all of the media around them and this truly makes me sad. 

I myself have been a victim of comparing myself to the women I see in media too and this is something that has to stop. Everyone's body is beautiful, everyone was created differently for a reason and being skinny is not what is important. What is important is that you do your best to live a happy and healthy lifestyle, a healthy life style is something to be proud of rather than trying to be skinny and doing it the wrong way. 

I just want everyone to take a second and realize how young this girl looks and how it is something that is truly happening now a days in our society and I believe that it is up to us to take it upon ourselves and fix it! Only then will we have the power to hopefully one day make it stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment